Friday, July 27, 2007

To Catch An Atheist

Tonight on Dateline NBC we'll be investigating men and women who gather online to promote their atheist dogma. We rented this house in Lynchburg Virginia to see how many of these atheists we could catch in our web. Actors trained to pose as famous atheists go online to various chat rooms looking for blasphemers.

The first man to come that day was a 37 year old software developer Frank Smith who drove over 200 miles to meet our famous atheist alone here in this house. Online he was calling himself "Ultimate747" and claimed he was a 21 year old college philosophy major.

Chris Hansen: Hi there, what brings you here today?

Smith: What? Uh... who are you?

Hansen: We'll get to that later. I have copies of your chat transcript here. Why would a grown man like yourself be interested in driving over 200 miles to discuss the problem of evil?

Smith: Is Professor Dawkins here? I thought he was going to meet me.

Hansen: Oh, you were planning to meet Richard Dawkins? Have you met other atheists before?

Smith: No. Well, not really, I...

Hansen: Because it says here you often meet up with other atheists. By the way, what's in your bag?

Smith: Um, I just brought some books. (laughs nervously)

Hansen: (looking at the books) The God Delusion? The End of Faith? Do you have any idea how this looks?

Smith: I wasn't going to do anything crazy. I was hoping he could sign his book and maybe we could have a beer.

Hansen: So you brought alcohol too? Well, I should tell you I'm Chris Hansen with Dateline NBC and we are doing a show on atheists meeting online. Now you are free to go, but if you have anything you want to say, we'd like to hear it.

Smith didn't have much to say then but we had our crack team of evangelical preachers waiting outside ready to save his soul.

(Video of Smith being tackled outside by burly men carrying Bibles.)

I'm Chris Hansen, from all of us here at Dateline, goodnight and God bless.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think that is horrible that they are trying to make someone beleive in what they want. So much for being able to have our own beliefs. It makes me sick that there are people out there like that. If people dont wanna beleive in somthing that there option. Stupid ass bible thumpers

vjack said...

Great post! Welcome to the atheist blogosphere. It is always nice to see another atheist blog starting up.

that atheist guy said...

Thanks vjack!

Steve said...

Is there a link?

that atheist guy said...

I guess some of you aren't familiar with the TV show. If you haven't figured it out already, this post is a parody of this TV show:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_catch_a_predator

Yenald Looshi said...

It's good to see that I'm not the only new atheist blog starting up! Great post!

XaurreauX said...

Excellent satire!

You aren't, by any chance, a member of NYC Atheists are you? And if not WHY not? ;-)

XaurreauX

that atheist guy said...

Why yes I am. If you click on the "table" label in the right column you can see some of my NYC Atheist Table reports. There aren't as many as I initially planned, but there are still some weekends left this summer.

Anonymous said...

Sure Atheists are using the internet to spread their ideas. What the hell is wrong with that? As if any other form of media is not dominated entirely by Christian and Judaic dogma.

Anonymous said...

HELLo atheist guy I think your blog site gives you a great way to make fun of God. I know you don't beleive in him. You're mother must love the way you make fun of him though. I enjoyed the post to, though. I usually go around to these websites and print of the pages and show them to the youth group at my church. Well anyways thanks for showing me this. I might not be able to argue my views here but at the youth group they'll listen.

that atheist guy said...

Anonymous wrote:
"HELLo atheist guy I think your blog site gives you a great way to make fun of God."

Where did I make fun of God?

"I might not be able to argue my views here but at the youth group they'll listen."

What do you mean you aren't able to argue your views here?